It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 170  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm 
Commodore Bastard
Commodore Bastard

DJ! :love:

I'm enjoying the new series also. I've seen some negative comments elsewhere, but I don't know what pinnacle of Doctor Who genius they are comparing it to. It doesn't seem any worse/better than most of the Russell T Davies era stuff. :scratchhead:

It's not Tom Baker era quality, but then what is? :docwho:

I'm liking Matt Smith. Didn't think I would, but he's OK.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:04 pm 
Gorgeous Bastard
Gorgeous Bastard

I was a bit puzzled by the Angels 2-parter. As far as I can remember, the Angels that were seen in an earlier story stole time from a person and they ended up in the past. In this story they tore living people to bits and then somehow created Angels out of them. Oh - and they resurrected dead aliens (it was a maze of the dead apparently) and created Angels out of them too. What changed? And a small group of people could be surrounded by loads of Angels and that was sufficient to keep them at bay? What about not blinking and not taking your eyes off them? How could a small group of people keep their eyes on all those Angels at once?

Could the plot holes have been any bigger?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:29 pm 
Commodore Bastard
Commodore Bastard

All true. It had more plot holes than a Brannon Braga episode of Star Trek:TNG! :o

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:07 pm 
Railgun Bastard
Railgun Bastard

I think Terry Pratchett sums it all up perfectly.

"I might shout at the screen again, but I will be watching on Saturday," he admitted. "After all, when you've had your moan you have to admit that it is very, very entertaining, with its heart in the right place, even if its head is often in orbit around Jupiter."

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:30 am 
Saint Bastard
Saint Bastard

He's right I think. The most surprising thing is that it's taken this long for this criticism to be made. I know if I turned in scripts of this quality for my creative writing courses I'd get low scores. It can still do some good things, even if it risks drowning them.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:08 am 
Taiwanese Bastard
Taiwanese Bastard

Just got around to watching the second Angels one, and... yeah. A little bit dull. All four soldiers turning to look at the bright light (i.e. in the same direction) cheered me up, as I prepared for them to get summarily slaughtered for their stupidity. :D (But then... nah, they MAGICALLY KNEW they didn't have to look for angels any more (even though they checked again a minute later). So then I was unhappy again)

Like others have said, it didn't do anything with what it had. Although syj... I *think* the revelation (last week) was that the two-headed aliens evolved into one-headed stone angels? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 am 
Saint Bastard
Saint Bastard

No, the point was that the people who built the maze had two heads, but everyone was dense and didn't notice that the 'statues' (Angels) only had one head. The idea was that these Angels were dying and needed a massive infusion of energy, so one Angel crashed a ship nearby and they got all the energy they needed to revive.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:51 am 
Taiwanese Bastard
Taiwanese Bastard

Thanks. :) So where did that army of angels come from? And why were they changing sh-oh, forget it. I don't care. :P

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:58 am 
Taiwanese Bastard
Taiwanese Bastard

The Doctor banging on the door and being electrocuted was so poorly done it made my head hurt. The sword fight actually made me pick up the remote to see what was on the other side. I liked Matt Smith at the start, but I think maybe he's run out of steam already. Quite sad, as I was hoping this series would be an improvement over the previous ones. I'm in two minds about whether or not to continue watching... :?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:11 am 
Dr. Who Bastard
Dr. Who Bastard

I continue to be impressed by Matt Smith as the Doctor, and felt he was really great in the 2-part Silurian story we've just had... lovely work on the make up for the aforementioned Silurians, and we finally got a chance to see the underground domain of said aliens realised much better, thanks to today's visual effects.

Warriors of the Deep could have been up with this 2-parter... it had the story, just unfortunately poorly executed (thankfully this time, there was no Myrka :P )

Interesting surprises at the end of the story as well, hopefully building toward a good climax to this series. :)

(I may also be around here more going forward, on an extended break from WoW, which may even become permanent)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:21 pm 
Aussie Rules Bastard
Aussie Rules Bastard

They were Silurians???

Anyway, just when i thought the new series couldn't get any worse... the next episode features James Corden, the most talentless fuckwit to infest British television in recent years (and that's saying something considering Ant n Dec still crop up like persistant herpes)...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:35 am 
Taiwanese Bastard
Taiwanese Bastard

I don't think Matt Smith does anything for me any more. David Tennant somehow shone through the dreary, predictable shit he had to say, while Matt is already dull, bordering on unwatchable. Despite being quite a sci-fi completionist, I think I'll stop watching this drivel (although, as all the US serieseses have just finished, I might watch it simply because there's nothing else new to watch... but probably not). Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:49 am 
Commodore Bastard
Commodore Bastard

Yes Lukozer, they were Silurians. And the ones with the guns were supposed to be Sea Devils. I suppose they were so generic and rubbery that it probably wasn't obvious. I thought they lacked a lot of the character they had in earlier Who stories.

I'm not bored with Matt Smith yet. I like him but, yes, I don't know how much he's got left to offer. He's doing a pretty good job at the moment, but the stories aren't doing much for me. :|

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 am 
Saint Bastard
Saint Bastard

I'm learning some good things from the show. I never knew van Gogh was Scottish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 am 
Saint Bastard
Saint Bastard

He's bilingual! Not only Scottish, but American too (see season 2, episode 16 of The Mentalist)

If you think you've found the solution to eternal happiness, and you're trying to sell it, you haven't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 170  Next